Sunday 2 October 2011

An impassioned plea


At some point during my self-imposed hermithood, in the past year and a half or so, public opinion regarding smokers has plummeted down the proverbial scale-of-barely-concealed-horror to somewhere juuuust above the disgust you'd feel if someone nearby soiled themselves.

On a warm day.

I’m extrapolating on the plethora of offended and scandalised expressions shot me as I waited for friends outside a Central London Tube station and dared to light up.

It's possible I’m exaggerating. Somewhat.

But, and I shit you not, last night I exhaled a lungful, considerately aimed up above the head of passers by, and a middle aged couple shot me a look that suggested I'd torn the head off a motherfucking baby, right in front of them. So intense that god, I was actually surprised! I mean, we were outside! A public street. An albeit crowded, fairly touristy street, but a street nonetheless. Fresh air, great ventilation, and all that hooey.

Is this how it is now? London used to be full of fucking smokers! Existing relatively peacefully alongside non-smokers, unmolested. Even after the indoor smoking ban (a sad day, let me tell you) we persevered; banished to the doorsteps of pubs, bars and restaurants city-wide but banding together in a sense of camaraderie. A necessary evil to keep the insides of these establishments smoke-free for their patrons, and we accepted it (somewhat) gracefully. But now? Are we to be pushed off the streets themselves too?

Jesus.

4 comments:

  1. I REALLY FRIGGIN HATE when people give you nasty looks just because you're smoking. And it drives me mental when you're obviously trying to keep smoke away from nearby people and yet they STILL give you a dirty look and fake cough. >:O

    We should just start blowing smoke at those people on purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..... and on an unrelated note... that Pro-Ana webring thing on the bottom of your blog makes all of the computers I use go totally spastic. Like in order to read your blog, I need to use ninja-like speed to click on the link for your blog and then click the stop loading button immediately. Otherwise it just goes straight to the pro-ana webring site and won't let me look at your blog at all.

    Just wanted to let you know, in case it's stopping others from being able to read your blog too! Because your blog is most definitely worth reading. <3

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude I'm back, I'm fat. I need not to be. Wahay for the simultaneous relapse. Not your fault about commenting, my blog is closed but I shall shortly be re-opening for business. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't disappear again. <3 <3

    ReplyDelete